Currently
28°
Alton, IL








Electrical Fire Damages Apartment

Story by WBGZ Radio

Local fire department personnel want to make sure you are guarding against fire hazards heading into what can be a dangerous time of the year. One in seven home fires and one in seven fire deaths involve heating equipment, but Christmas decorations can also be a potential hazard at this time of year.

That’s why it’s so important to be careful with things like space heaters and Christmas lights, according to Alton Fire Chief Bernie Sebold. He tells The Big Z a fire Monday at a Myrle Street apartment was apparently caused by a vacuum cleaner cord that was pinched under a wheel on the bed.

Click here for Sebold's comments

No one was injured in the fire that caused minimal damage. As for Christmas decorations, he says to make sure you are not overloading power strips and extension cords, and if you have a live tree to make sure it stays watered. And keep candles at least one foot away from anything that can burn.

(Copyright WBGZ Radio / www.AltonDailyNews.com)









This site was created by RiverBender.com
Copyright © 2017 Alton Daily News
AltonDailyNews.com ยท WBGZ 1570 AM
227 Market St., Alton IL 62002 Phone: (618) 465-3535
EEO Report | Privacy Policy | Online Public File